Recipe by: Chef John V., A Good Cooking Recipe!
History: This is a classic preparation from the
40's, 50's and 60's
Description: Good Cooking is often asked for restaurant quantity recipes that will serve large groups---here is a delicious one!
Serving size: 50 portions
Preparation time: about one hour and 30 minutes
2 lb. Mushrooms, cut in 1/4's
2 lb. Butter, melted
1 lb. Flour
2 qt. Chicken Stock, hot
1 qt. Milk, whole, hot
2 qt. Light Cream, hot
1 pint heavy cream
3 large Green Peppers, roasted then skin removed, cut in 1/2 in. dice
2-4 oz. cans Pimientos, drained, diced 1/2 in. square
Salt to taste, you will probably use about 3 tablespoons for this quantity
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
8 oz. Sherry Wine
10 lb. White Chicken Meat, cooked, boneless, skinless, cut in 1 in. dice
1. Sauté mushrooms in melted butter until soft, 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, drain well of the butter.
2. Reheat the butter and add the flour. Stir, and cook slowly for 8-10 minutes. Do not brown!
3. Add hot chicken stock. Stir until slightly thickened and smooth.
4. Add milk, light cream and heavy cream and blend well, simmer very slowly for 20 minutes stirring often. Season with salt and ground white pepper.
5. Roast the peppers then remove the charred skin, dice 1/2 inch.
6. Dice the pimientos 1/2 inch.
7. Add the chicken meat, sherry, mushrooms.
8. Combine chicken, mushrooms, peppers and pimentos with the hot sauce, stir carefully to prevent breaking up pieces of chicken or vegetables and heat for about 10-15 minutes. Taste it for more salt and pepper it you like.
Note: May be served with rice, noodles or in a casserole with toast points.
this page for your records.
Go Back to Good Cooking's Home Page!
A Gastronomic Gourmet Cooking Resource
Since December 1995